Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Another week flies by

Well, as I mentioned in my last blog, I have 31 new books to read so I haven't had much time for blogging. Since the book sale I have read two books, including one that I didn't even buy at the book sale.

My mother sent me a copy of the book Marley and Me which is a journalist's commentary on his life with a Labrador retriever that suffered from a serious case of ADHD. He described Marley as having "the attention span of algae and the volatility of nitroglycerin." Having had retrievers myself (although goldens are much more sophisticated and intelligent than labs) I can completely relate to his stories. Carina is sweet and well behaved but still has the same "triple espresso exuberance" that described Marley. The only downside to the book was the ending which dealt with Marley's failing health and eventual death, but it was still a very entertaining read.

I also read Deception Point by Dan Brown, author of The Da Vinci Code. It was a very intriuging story about a grand scale government cover-up.It was good but reminded me a lot of The Da Vinci Code, minus the heresy.

Other than reading, I have done a little bit of work around the house and I got to spend a lot of time with my in-laws (for me that is a good thing). They spent most of last week with us before heading back to Italy on Monday. We went to a Greenville Drive game on Tuesday and watch the home team get creamed; their only run was on a bases-loaded walk.

I guess the highlight of the week was Saturday morning's fantasy football draft. A group of guys (and one woman) from my church sat around a table for three hours on Saturday morning as we each plotted and schemed each other's demise. I've been playing fantasy football for three years now and this is the first time I've been in a league with a live draft; it was a blast. Afterwards I came home and cleaned off a place on my desk for the trophy to sit when I bring it home at the end of the season.

So that's my week in a nutshell (or actually a blog entry; I don't know what nutshells have to do with anything).

1 Comments:

Blogger mommmydeb said...

Hmmm,, I enjoyed your post except couldn't you come up with any uplifting adjectives about your mother????
I appreciated the "goldens being more sophisticated and intelligent than labs" comment but I'm not so sure your father did!
Nutshells are small and when you cram 168 hours worth of life into a few paragraph blog one could say that it was only a nutshell portion of the whole.
Have a blessed day.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home