Friday, September 08, 2006

Megalopyge opercularis


This past week I had an interesting call at work. A lady showed up at the station complaining of an insect bite on her right leg and arm. It was from -get this- a caterpillar. Now I know that some caterpillars can sting if you touch them but the rash from this bite was about 4 inches long and was causing serious pain. They had brought the caterpillar in a ziploc bag. It looks like a hairball; the closest thing that I can come up with is a "tribble" from Star Trek (one of the 2 or 3 Star Trek episodes that I've seen, I despise Star Trek).

Anyways, the patient was fine, except for the discomfort and they left the caterpillar with me at the station. I quickly googled caterpillars and identified the creature. It is a Puss Caterpillar (Megalopyge opercularis). It is known as one of the most poisonous caterpillars in America. Embedded in the hair along its back are detachable spines filled with venom. Although the venom is not lethal to humans (unless you are hypersensitive), the barbs will break off in the skin of anyone who touches this and, unless they are removed, will continue to release venom and cause severe pain for 4-5 days. The articles I read said that the barbs are easily removed using packaging tape.

I find this harmless looking little devil fascinating and so I brought him home and have housed him in an insect cage that my mom sent for me to capture a scorpion in for Annie (I haven't seen a single one since the cage arrived). I named him furby, after an annoying little toy that someone bought my younger sisters years ago. My wife does not share my fascination and is currently plotting an assasination attempt; I don't think Furby has much of a chance of survival against such a foe.

1 Comments:

Blogger mommmydeb said...

Smart woman, your wife!
By the way, Furby was purchased by your favorite aunts who read your blog!! I think this year you'll be getting coal from them!

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home