Sunday, May 14, 2006

Lessons Learned

Having grown up in New England, I always knew that when you go outside in the winter you do not touch your tongue to anything frozen, especially metal. I'm not sure why you would want to lick a water pump handle or a flagpole, but it has been done.

Fortunately, I live in South Carolina now so I don't have to worry about those sub zero winters. Of course I don't have to worry about getting my tongue stuck on cold metal. Right?

Well, I learned something new last week. An ice cream scoop that still has some ice cream on it can cause the same reaction to a wet tongue that a frozen flagpole can. I also learned that you should obey your common sense and use hot water to get your tongue off and not assume that it will only hurt for a minute when you yank it off.

Actually, if you yank it off, it will take a small chunk of tissue with it. I have licked off thousands of ice creams scoops and never gotten stuck before; but this time was different. I got it stuck on my tongue and the back of my upper lip; if you put your finger on the inside of your upper lip and feel around for the most sensitive spot, you've got exactly where it stuck. After I ripped the spoon out, my tongue escaped unscathed but my lip was not so fortunate. After the pain subsided, I sat down to eat my ice cream and noticed the taste of blood in my mouth.

Needless to say, I have learned my lesson. My mouth is still very sensitive when I eat, four days later, especially when I eat salty food (or say, the vinegar in Italian dressing at a particular wedding reception!).

4 Comments:

Blogger Sam Tardif said...

Ha HA HA! I thought you said you traded brains for hair! I guess you sure did get the short end of that bargain! You must have been blonde - back in the day. =)
How does bloody ice cream taste?

6:59 PM  
Blogger mommmydeb said...

Ahhh, Sam..... last time I saw you you were a....BLONDE.... and so was I. I think you better be careful there!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Sam Tardif said...

And you slapped me as soon as we were introduced. =) (actually, I'm sure that's the response most people resist when I'm introduced, but still...) At least I didn't have an ice cream spoon wound on my lip. =)

10:55 PM  
Blogger Tim and Heidi Harney said...

that's funny!! Thanks for the laugh today!!! We'll try to remember that tip! :)
We enjoyed reading through some of your blog!
Tim and Heidi Harney :)

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home